Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My True Hero

I have been wanting to post this for over a month, but with my whole sickness with pregnancy I wasn't wanting to sit at a computer. So better now than never.
One day at church (I think it was when I was in the Single's Ward) we were asked who our true hero was. It didn't take me long to know who that person was. Her name is Shannon Cloward. She was my Young Women's President. She was the most amazing woman I have ever met. I feel so blessed to have gotten to know her so well.
She moved to Utah when I was in 6th grade. She was a single mother with 5 kids. Her 4th child had cerebral palsy. She was also diagnosed with breast cancer when she moved here. I became friends with her daughter when they moved here, but didn't really get to know Shannon until she was called to be our YW's President. Our bishop knew the challenges that she was going through and just knew she was suppose to be the YW President. She did an amazing job and her love for all of us was endless. She made it known to each of us how much she cared for us. She always wanted to know how we were doing and wanted us all to feel included together. I know she touched each and every one of us that were in Young Women's when she was President. Her love for us never stopped growing. She would always welcome us with a smile and a big hug when we would come back to visit and always said to come visit her whenever. She even threw bridal showers for us.
Shannon was a true inspiration. She went through life with so much joy and happiness. She took on her challenges in life with faith and never would stop moving forward. She ran several of marathons/races and took care of her son with cerebal palsy. Even though my challenges do not compare to hers, I look to her as a great example of conquering challenges with a smile and know that I am meant to have these challenges to strengthen me for who I am to become.

This summer she took a turn for the worse. Ben and I went to my Parent's ward's Pig Roast and saw her there. I was so happy that I was able to see her. She wasn't in the greatest conditions, but was there with a smile enjoying being there with all of her friends from the ward. And of course welcomed me with a big hug. In the fall she was told she only had a couple of months then it turned into a couple of weeks. She was able to spend Thanksgiving with most of her kids. She had one son on a mission in Scotland. Then on December 2nd she passed on to her Heavenly Father. She was the most amazing woman. Her faith and unconditional love will never be forotten. I hope to one day have as much strength that she had.
Her funeral was the most amazing funeral I have ever been to. It was full of wonderful stories of her. There was laughing and crying. She will be remembered by so many. We love you Shannon!


3 comments:

Ryan and Hetz said...

Man, I cried through this post. What an amazing lady. She did so much in her short time here. Btw I voted you are having a boy :)

Richard G said...

A very nice post about Shannon. A great example to so many people.

Melanie Herway said...

What a great lady! She wasn't even my YW pres. and she still made me feel so loved! How great that you were able to get to know her so well.